Parish History

A Brief History

1932 Church built for use by Pope & Talbot Lumber Mill families in Port Gamble, Kitsap County, Washington, became St. Paul’s Episcopal Mission, supported by occasional visiting clergy from Bainbridge Island.

1955 Episcopal Diocese of Olympia survey determined Poulsbo to be an area of growth and began support for full time vicar (priest).

1963 St. Charles Episcopal Church, Poulsbo, was established as outreach from St. Paul’s Episcopal Mission, Port Gamble. Services were held at Stone Mortuary Chapel, now an auto dealership.

1965 Herrold family donated land at Highway 305 and Little Valley Road in Poulsbo. Portable buildings (a classroom size building for the church and several single wide size buildings for office and classroom space) were set up in a week’s time. Vicar of the North Kitsap Episcopal Mission conducted Sunday services (8:00 and 9:00) at St. Charles, Poulsbo, then drove to Port Gamble for Sunday service at St. Paul’s (11:00).

1978 New sanctuary was dedicated at St. Charles, Poulsbo. Much of the interior finish work was done by congregation members. Portable classroom size church building became the parish hall.

1980 North Kitsap Episcopal Mission became a parish in the Diocese of Olympia.

1983 New parish hall, with a full kitchen served as meeting and classroom space. Previous parish hall became offices and nursery.

2003 Episcopal Church and the Diocese of Olympia continued their departure in purpose and practice from the orthodox, historic faith. St. Charles chose to remain faithful to the Anglican orthodox heritage, where the Bible is the true and perfect revelation of the work of God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  In addition, St. Charles upheld the historic death and resurrection work of Jesus Christ as the unique provision of salvation by faith through grace.

2004 St. Charles accepted the relationship with the Anglican Communion Diocese of Recife, Brazil, and the leadership of Bishop Robinson Cavalcanti.

2005 The church building of St. Paul’s in Port Gamble, owned by Pope Resources, terminated the relationship with St. Charles Anglican Church and both Anglican services moved to the St. Charles campus.

2009 St. Charles Anglican Church, Poulsbo, WA, is a founding member of the Diocese of Cascadia, accepted into the new Anglican Province, the Anglican Church in North America.

2014 St. Charles moves to a new location.

Return to Home Page